thyroid stimulating hormone (tsh) test is for testing Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) in the blood.
- Contains Blood Spot collection kit
- Collecting sample easily in comfort of your home or office.
- Test result delivers between 3-5 working days after receipt at the laboratory
- Free Delivery in the UK and Ireland
- Customers are responsible for shipping their sample to laboratory.
- No additional cost.
Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) is produced by the pituitary and acts on the thyroid gland to stimulate production of thyroxine (T4). Higher than normal TSH can indicate a disorder of the thyroid gland, while low TSH can indicate overproduction of T4, which acts in a negative feedback on the pituitary to reduce TSH production. Low TSH can also be caused by problems in the pituitary gland itself, which result in insufficient TSH being produced to stimulate the thyroid (secondary hypothyroidism). Thyroid disease or dysfunction is notoriously underdiagnosed.
hypothyroidism, with its characteristically
high TSH and low circulating T4 levels, or
hyperthyroidism, with low TSH and high
T4 levels (most commonly manifested as
Graves’ Disease), are relatively easy to
recognize clinically. But an elevated TSH
associated with normal thyroid hormone
levels, defined as “subclinical” hypothyroidism, is thought to be present in 4-10%
of the general population and in up to 20%
of women over 60 years old, while a low
TSH and normal thyroid hormone levels,
or subclinical hyperthyroidism, occurs in
about 2% of the population. Reference
range levels of TSH are between 0.5 and
3.0 µU/mL (optimum 0.5—2.0 µU/mL).
The pack includes:
- Test Requisition Form includes Symptom Checklist
- Requisition Form to complete including your personal and medical history
- Instructions on How to Use blood spot Collection Kit
How to Use